World Heritage UK response to Planning White Paper consultation submitted
World Heritage UK has now completed its response to ‘Planning for the Future’, the government’s consultation on planning reform in…Read more
Thanks for requesting our membership brochure, it’s on its way to you now! Be sure to check your junk/spam folders as it may end up there.Close modal
Westminster Abbey is a striking example of the successive phases of English Gothic art and architecture and the inspiration for the work of Charles Barry and Augustus Welby Pugin on the Palace of Westminster.
The Palace of Westminster, Westminster Abbey, and St Margaret’s Church together encapsulate the history of one of the most ancient parliamentary monarchies of present times and the growth of parliamentary and constitutional institutions.
Westminster Palace, rebuilt from the year 1840 on the site of important medieval remains, is a fine example of neo-Gothic architecture. The site – which also comprises the small medieval Church of Saint Margaret, built in Perpendicular Gothic style, and Westminster Abbey, where all the sovereigns since the 11th century have been crowned – is of great historic and symbolic significance.
The site symbolises monarchy, religion, and power in England and represents the journey from a feudal society to a modern democracy and demonstrates the intertwined history of church, monarchy and state. The Palace of Westminster, Westminster Abbey and St Margaret’s Church continue in their original functions and play a pivotal role in society and government.Official website
The name Big Ben is often used to describe the tower, the clock and the bell of the Palace of Westminster but the name was first given to the Great Bell which was first struck on 7 September 1859.
Built by the royal masons in 1250, the Chapter House of Westminster Abbey was originally used in the 13th century by Benedictine monks for their daily meetings.
The Jewel Tower was one of only two buildings from the medieval Palace of Westminster to survive the fire of 1834, the tower features a 14th century ribbed vault.