World Heritage Young Professionals Forum
May 24, 2023
Call for Applications. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 3-12 September 2023
Looking Ahead: The Next 50 Years of Protecting Natural and Cultural Heritage
As an integral part of the extended 45th session of the World Heritage Committee, and in the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Education Programme, the Ministry of Culture in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia through the National Committee for Education, Culture and Science and the Saudi Heritage Commission will be hosting the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2023 under the theme of “Looking Ahead: The Next 50 Years of Protecting Natural and Cultural Heritage”.
The Forum is an opportunity to understand and assess the achievements of the past 5 decades of the World Heritage Convention; to highlight the crucial role of youth in the heritage ecosystem; and to pave the way for the next generation of heritage professionals, giving voice to their unique approaches to heritage management. The Forum will harness the potential of capacity building and prepare the young professionals in creating a sustainable future for our cultural and natural heritage.
The overall aim of the Forum is to deepen the knowledge and skills of young professionals in protecting, preserving, and promoting natural and cultural heritage for the next 5o years, and beyond. Accompanied by local and international experts, and through a variety of presentations, roundtables, discussions and site visits, the young professionals will collectively explore the significant challenges encountered in managing heritage ecosystems today and will discuss best practices and shared solutions for their future protection.
Themes that will be covered and discussed include:
World Heritage & Climate Change
World Heritage & Sustainable Tourism
Diversity & Representation of World Heritage
The Digital Dimension of World Heritage
Application and Selection Procedure
30 participants will be selected for the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2023 through the process of an open call.
Participants of the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2023 are expected to be:
- Aged between 23 and 32 years.
- Experienced in one of these fields: World Heritage, conservation, archaeology, architecture, conservation, urban planning & regeneration, restoration, art history, tourism, climate change, and digital technology.
- Motivated and committed to implementing the outcomes of the Forum in their respective countries.
- Committed to enhancing community engagement in the management of World Heritage properties.
- Available for the entire duration of the Forum.
- Proficient in English, as the Forum will be conducted entirely in English.
Deadline for applying is 4th June 2023. Click here for full details and to apply.