World Heritage UK 2022 Annual Conference
July 28, 2022
Celebrating 50 years of the World Heritage Convention, and looking ahead to the next 50.
Monday 3rd & Tuesday 4th October 2022, at Jodrell Bank World Heritage Site.
World Heritage UK is delighted to be holding its annual conference in-person once again. We look forward to welcoming you to and seeing you at Jodrell Bank WHS. As November 2022 sees the 50th anniversary of the World Heritage Convention, we thought it would be an ideal moment in October to celebrate this milestone. And to reflect UNESCO’s own thinking and this year’s venue, we thought that we should also consider where World Heritage might head in the coming years and decades. Day 1 will therefore look back and day 2 will look ahead.
The draft programme is:
Day One – Monday 3rd October
- 9.30 – Pre-conference teas and coffees
- 10.00 – Welcome from Chris Blandford, President WHUK & Prof. Teresa Anderson, Jodrell Bank WHS
- 10.05 – Nigel Huddleston MP, Heritage Minister (pre-recorded video message)
- 10.15 – “50 Years of the World Heritage Convention” Dr. Mechtild Rössler, ex-Director UNESCO World Heritage Centre
- 11.00 – Morning break
- 11.15 – Laura Davies, UK Ambassador to UNESCO
- 12.00 – Q&A
- 12.30 – Lunch
- 12.30 – 20 mins tour available to explore the historic South Side of Jodrell Bank
- 13.30 – “36 Years of World Heritage in the UK” – Susan Denyer, ICOMOS-UK
- 14.15 – “The National Trust & World Heritage” – National Trust speaker tbc
- 15.00 – Afternoon break
- 15.15 – Q&A NGOs roundtable “World Heritage now – challenges and opportunities” (with DCMS, Historic England, UK Commission to UNESCO, ICOMOS-UK, IUCN, Historic Environment Scotland, Cadw, NIEA, and WHUK)
- 16.00 – Jodrell Bank experience: visit new First Light Pavilion visitor centre and exhibition
- 19.00 – Drinks and dinner (venue tbc)
Day Two – Tuesday 4th October
- 09.30 – Pre-conference teas and coffees
- 09.50 – Welcome from Prof. Teresa Anderson. Jodrell Bank WHS Coordinator
- 10.00 – 11.00 “World Heritage Futures”, Prof. Cornelius Holtorf, UNESCO Chair of Heritage Futures, Heritage Futures I Archaeology, School of Cultural Sciences, Linnaeus University, Kalmar, Sweden
- 11.00 – 12.30pm Workshop on the future of World Heritage
- 12.30 – Q&A
- 13.00 Lunch
- 14.00 – “Future Roles & Responsibilities of World Heritage” Prof. Peter Stone, Newcastle University
- 14.30 – “The Next 10. The Future of World Heritage in Ireland” Michael MacDonagh, Chief Archaeologist, National Monuments Service, Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Government of Ireland
- 15.00 – Afternoon break
- 15.30 – “What’s the future for WH from a youth POV?” WH Youth Ambassadors (Blaenavon & Hadrian’s Wall)
- 16.00 – Prof. Teresa Anderson, topic tbc
- 16.30 – Final Q&A
- 17.00 – Conference end
For accommodation, please click here to see options according to distance from Jodrell Bank WHS. There also options in Macclesfield which is about a 20-minute drive away.
For details of how to get to Jodrell Bank both by car and public transport, click here. Parking will be free for delegates.
To book your tickets, please go to the Events page here.
Please note that Jodrell Bank WHS is a working radio telescope. As such your mobile phone might interfere with their work when you’re on site. Jodrell Bank ask that you switch your mobile to airplane mode during the conference. Thank you.
WHUK’s 2022 annual conference kindly sponsored by: